This is Adam. I went to my first local wedding yesterday. I wasn't invited, the bride and groom had no idea who I was, and I had no idea who they were. The invitation was extended to me by my language tutor. Others have told us that weddings here are slap down parties with great food and dancing so I went.
The guest list included the "who's who" of our town. Actually they invite all the neighbors and everyone they know (and apparently don't know). Traditionally when people get married here they have two separate weddings. A groom's wedding and the bride's wedding, but the couple attends both. Before the wedding starts, a motorcade of cars decorated with flowers and ribbons drive through the streets blowing their horns to announce the wedding. Everyone goes to the wedding house, which is like a big banquet hall. The wedding house is packed full of people, food, loud music, and vodka. The women all sit together on the ground floor, and the men all sit upstairs in the balcony.
I tried everything that they put in front of me...except the vodka. I ate so many different dishes I can't even remember their names, so I will describe them. We ate something like a beef brisket in soup with potatoes, lamb, beef and lamb kabob, plenty of fresh veggies, some kind of potato salad, and chicken. They love fruit juices here, so we had pomegranate, pear, cherry, and various other flavors to drink.
In-between the food and dancing, the MC would announce different family members who would come up and give a toast to the couple. There were videographers and photographers snapping pictures left and right.
The dancing was amazing, the closest thing I can think of to describe it is my friend, Franklin's wedding or that movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, with the sprinkling of cash being thrown up in the air. These people can cut the rug. The music was a mix between big band with an out of control, out of tune clarinet, and the repetitive beat of bad techno...with the out of control clarinet. All jokes aside about the music, I had a great time.
No comments:
Post a Comment